Idaho Fish Report
ODFW Recreation Report
by OR Department of Fish & Wildlife Staff
Report you hunt
Just a reminder that all big game and turkey hunters who bought a tag need to report their hunt, even if the didn’t hunt or take an animal. Also a reminder that reporting early will help you avoid the last minute crush of procrastinators. Learn more about how to report.
Best bets for weekend fishing:
Winter steelhead, late season Chinook and rainbow trout are on the fishing agenda for the weekend.
- On the north coast, anglers continue to catch hatchery winter steelhead on the North Fork Nehalem, Necanicum, and the Lower Columbia Tribs (Klaskanine R, Big Creek, and Gnat Creek).
- While the Alsea is currently the best spot on the mid-coast to target early winter steelhead, the Siletz and Siuslaw should also be seeing their first steelhead soon – if they haven’t already.
- Anglers as catching a few steelhead in the Coos and Coquille basins, where river flows should drop to fishable levels by the weekend.
- Chinook season continues on the south coast where there are good numbers of fish throughout rivers like the Chetco, Elk, Pistol and Sixes.
- The first winter steelhead have arrived in the Clackamas and Sandy rivers. Keep an eye on water levels and as they begin to drop be ready to hit the water.
- The Crooked, Fall and Metolius rivers are excellent winter trout fisheries. With the onset of snow and colder temperatures, the best fishing will be during the warmest parts of the day. Here are some other winter trout fishing pointers.
- While water levels remain quite low, fishing for rainbow trout has been very good on the Malheur Reservoir.
- Trout have been taking small midge patterns on the lower Owyhee River.Fishing for trout has been good on the Wallowa River with some fish to 18 inches.
Snipe hunting: It’s really a thing
Stalking snipe is a cross between duck and upland bird hunting. With seasons lasting through late January or February, this can be a great late-season bird hunt. If you’ve never been, here are some tips.
Winter steelhead tips
The first winter steelhead of the season are being caught in several coastal rivers. If you’re hoping for a successful steelhead season, we’ve got some winter steelhead fishing tips that just might help.