Idaho Fish Report
ODFW Recreation Report
by OR Department of Fish & Wildlife Staff
Best bets for weekend fishing:
- On the north coast hatchery winter steelhead are being caught on the North Fork Nehalem, Necanicum, and the Lower Columbia Tribs (Klaskanine R, Big Creek, and Gnat Creek).
- Nehalem hatchery released 60 surplus winter steelhead into Coffenbury Lake this week. These fish will bite in the lake and catching a winter steelhead in still water can be a fun and unique experience.
- Winter steelhead have started showing up in the Alsea, and a few have been caught in the North Fork.
- Cooper Creek Reservoir is devoid of the summer crowds, giving the occasional angler plenty of room to chase holdover trout.
- Summer steelhead fishing continues to be very good in the middle and upper Rogue.
- Steelhead anglers are starting to catch an occasional fish in the lower portions of the Coos Basin.
- The first winter steelhead have arrived in the Clackamas and Sandy rivers. And there should be some in Eagle Creek before you know it.
- Trout fishing has been good in the Crooked, Fall and Metolius rivers. With warmer than average temperatures in the forecast for yet another week, fishing should continue to be good through the weekend.
- Bikini Pond was stocked twice in November and there should still be trout swimming around.
- Fishing in Upper Klamath and Agency Lakes has improved with warmer weather and improved water clarity. This will change soon so get out there before the cold storms hit later this week.
Snipe hunting: It’s really a thing
Stalking snipe is a cross between duck and upland bird hunting. With seasons lasting through late January or February, this can be a great late-season bird hunt. If you’ve never been, here are some tips.
Punch your cougar tag
Winter, after other big game seasons have closed, is a great time to hunt cougar. Their stealthy and nocturnal habits make for a challenging hunt to cap off your season. Here are some tips for being a better cougar hunter.
Check out the ODFW’s Beaver State Podcast
The Beaver State podcast takes an in-depth look at hunting, fishing and wildlife management. With topics from budgets to bats, Chinook to chukar, and mule deer to mussels, you’ll likely find something you like. Sign up where you get your podcasts or go to our podcast page.